for advance notice
of special offers!
(emails are never
shared or sold)
Join Our Mailing List



































Racing Commentary

Email Lew at lewboyd@coastal181.com

Bentley Warren in the Tewksbury Auto Parts #5, chased by Joe Gosek at Oswego. (Eugene Bryant Jr. Photo, North East Motor Sports Museum Collection)



If biologists looked at the history of Supermodified racing over the last half century, they’d call it parallel evolution. Rather than starting in one place, it grew out of jalopies in the fifties – cut-down, lightened, and modified – in various parts of the country, including Northern California, the Southeast, Upper Midwest, upstate New York, and New England. Over the decades, as the highway system was built and racing media chimed in, Supers developed into an increasingly standard configuration, and top drivers began competing at national events such as the Oswego (N.Y.) Classic and the Copper Classic in Phoenix.

One largely unheralded team from Tewksbury, Massachusetts, had a full 30-season run during those years, full of that glorious triumph and wrenching tragedy that often rides with the world’s fastest oval-track cars. They saw it all.

Back in 1956, a determined, hard-nosed auto parts recycler, Ed Bowley, towed into the murky pit area of the old Pines Speedway down by the river in Groveland, Mass. He had built the “Honest Ed Special,” a lowered Flathead coupe, wheeled by aging midget veteran Hal Wilcox. They won right off the bat, picking up the pace even more with Hall of Famer Smokey Boutwell at the controls.

By 1960 the #5 team was red hot on the New England banked bull rings. The latest car, driven by Buddy Crotty, was a flyweight cutdown powered by a Pontiac overhead with three carbs. In the fall they ventured out to the Oswego Classic. They sat on the pole, stunning the New Yorkers who by then had assumed Super superiority. Crotty ran high and mighty, well in the lead after nearly 100 laps when he spun out.

Supercharged by their speed, Bowley ramped up for 1961, dropping in a really punchy Pontiac engine, shoeing it with some of Marvin Rifchin’s trick M&Hs, renaming it “the Flying 5,” and hiring a carpenter from Worcester, Red Sequin, to man the controls. The season would end up packed with every possible human emotion.

The Team from Tewksbury, 1961. L to R, Ed Bowley (standing), top-notch New England driver Paul Finlayson (seated), Red Sequin, Eddie Witkum, Irwin Mitchell, and Dave Thompson (standing). (Dave Kranz Photo, Witkum Collection)

Sequin, diminutive in size but glowing in personality, was on rails in New England. Meanwhile, out in Oswego, the crafty veteran Nolan Swift was winning so convincingly that management offered a bounty to anyone who could beat him. The press spun the news big time, suggesting that Sequin was the guy to eat Swift’s cake.

On Friday, August 18, the Flying 5 performed on the high banks of Westboro (Mass.) Speedway, winning the heat handily but breaking in the feature. The next night the boys were out on the shores of Lake Ontario hunting that Oswego bonus. Reports are that the tension was thick as a huge crowd saw Sequin break again in the heat but annihilate all comers in the consi with a new track record of 100.3 mph on the 5/8 mile.

Everyone was on their feet as Swift and Sequin thundered by, deep in the pack at the start of the main. What was expected to be the showdown of the ages ended almost before it could start. On lap 15, Sequin sideswiped “Irish Jack” Murphy’s #6 and drilled the unforgiving third-turn wall with loud and frightening impact, rendering the place completely silent.

Sequin was extracted from the car, and 16-year-old crew member Bobby Witkum went with him to the hospital. “Red wouldn’t wear a harness. He had this ‘woodchopper’s belt’ he attached to the left side of the car to help with centrifugal force, but it wouldn’t hold him in the seat. When he hit, he was almost out the right window, and the nerf bar broke off and slammed his head. He had just bought a new helmet – too big, and it slid forward, giving him no protection. He was alive when we got to the hospital, and we just couldn’t believe it when he died.”

No one could. Totally brokenhearted, the team brought the car home, put it in a trailer, and locked it up. Out of business.

But Harry “the Wheel” Caruso, Oswego’s zealous originator/promoter and a good friend of Ed Bowley, thought otherwise. He considered the incident a freak accident and he wanted Sequin to be properly honored with a dedicated race, with the Flying 5 right there. The story goes that Smokey Boutwell, then out of a ride, heard about this and persuaded Ed to let him rebuild the car. Smokey went to work, assisted by young Eddie and Bobby Witkum (both of whom are still building Supers today). They replaced the abbreviated ’48 Ford frame rails on the three-springer, straightened the cage and body, and put Smokey’s name back on the roof.

The Flyin’ 5 just after the fatal crash, August 19, 1961.
(Archie Banks Collection)
The same car at Thompson, Ct., on September 17, less than a month later.
(Archie Banks Collection)

On September 16, Boutwell motored the same car to an impressive second-place finish at Oswego. Late that night they rode the thruways back to Connecticut and won at Thompson on Sunday afternoon. And quite remarkably, the next week Boutwell was back in New York, claiming third in the Oswego Classic behind Art Bennett and Nolan Swift.

Understandably, the Bowley gang was still feeling the hurt after the season, and Ed decided to go NASCAR modified racing, something perhaps a little safer. It was off to Daytona with a Flying 5 Studebaker Permatex car, but NASCAR officials did not like it. Nor did Smokey, finding it far too boxy and weighty for the short tracks back in the Northeast.

So there were more Supers for Smokey and then a young guy on his way to Indy, Bentley Warren.

Ed’s son Tommy graduated from high school on June 3, 1972, ready to join the racing operation. It was a big day. They hurried off to New York right after the ceremony, and the Big Daddy, hard drivin’, hard punchin’ Don MacLaren, hustled the Flying 5 to its first Oswego win.

Don MacLaren at Thompson in a Bowley roadster at Thompson in the
early seventies. (North East Motor Sports Museum Photo)

Ed, Tommy, and the crew would soldier on for another 15 years with top-notch machinery and gallant chauffeurs, as Supers matured nationally with increasingly sophisticated technology and dizzying speed. And, if it could be said that 1961 was the saddest of times, a few months near the end of their run was the happiest.

In 1984 the Bowleys were again with that “Flying Fisherman” from Gloucester, Mass., Bentley Warren. Bentley was going through a racing rejuvenation and was at the top of his game. That autumn they swept the Triple Crown – the Sandusky (Ohio) Classic, the Oswego Classic, and the Star (N.H.) Classic. But an added jewel came for the crown in February of 1985. Ed and Tommy towed two cars out to Phoenix for the infamous Copper Classic, then at its height of spectacle and competition. Bentley smoked ’em, setting fast time and winning the show. Another aging master, George “Ziggy” Snider, drove the backup car and got fourth.

“Phoenix was the best of all. What a blast!” says Tommy Bowley. ”But that was near the end. We pretty much just did big shows for a couple of years after that.”

Many would say that by the early nineties, when Ed Bowley passed away, Supermodified racing had become largely shaped as it is today. However, its popularity had peaked, and over recent years there have been far fewer shows than in the past.

There does seem to be a fresh new enthusiasm in the air this spring. Marketeers like Randy Burch and Jim Hanks are working all angles with their Must-See Super Series, as are track officials such as Danny Kapuscinski at Oswego and Bob Watson at Lee, New Hampshire. Just maybe it will spark another racy growth spurt similar to that incredible era when the Flying 5 roared so loudly.

Happy times in ’84 and ’85 for Ed and Bentley. “I think he actually kissed me," said Bentley. (Bill Hartwell Photo, North East Motor Sports Museum Collection)

© 2013 Lew Boyd - Coastal 181
If you were interested in this Tearoff, you might enjoy the books below:
50 Years: Oswego Speedway
International Classic

by George Caruso Jr.,
with Carol D. Haynes
 Hot Cars
Cool Drivers

By Lew Boyd

Stop by our Book Store Directory for a look at our book and DVD selections:

Book Store

.: Previous Tearoffs :.

3/24/13 - ON O’NEILL AVENUE: Visiting the Marty Himes Museum

3/8/13 - David's Destiny

2/20/13 - Racin' Wrecked

1/29/13 - The Call of the Wall


© 2007-13 Lew Boyd, Coastal 181



























































































web counter
web counter